JAN LEWITTBritish 1907 - 1991


JAN LEWITTBritish 1907 - 1991

Lewitt was born in Czestochowa Poland, where he spent his childhood. After completing his schooling he travelled for three years in Europe and the Middle East. He then began work as a self-taught graphic artist and designer. He picked up art, so he claimed, "while trying to make a living in thirteen different occupations, among them as a worker in machine building, in soap manufacturing, in a distillery, as a bricklayer, farm worker, compositor, architects's draftsman and art director." In 1925 he designed the first modern Hebrew Typeface Chaim.

In 1933 he met George Him and they formed the highly successful collaborative design partnership Lewitt-Him. At the outbreak of the Second World War Lewitt-Him designed posters for the Ministry of Information, but some of their early designs were never used. By late 1942, their main work was illustrating children's books, although they continued with poster work and designed murals for war factory canteens. After the war the Lewitt-Him partnership designed murals for the Festival of Britain (1951), and exhibited in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv (1948), and New York and Philadelphia (1953). In 1954 the partnership was dissolved. After the partnership Le Witt, who had become a British citizen in 1947, abandoned graphic design to work with Sadler's Wells Ballet.